27 Jul 2018 Private Fleet vs. Dedicated
In today changing environment many Logistics and Transportation professionals are asking themself a lot of questions. The question about transportation fleet operation and related costs is certainly on top of the list. Managing its own private fleet or choosing to switch to a dedicated fleet that gives businesses the advantages of owning their own fleet without dealing with the challenges that could stifle their bottom line, is a important questions to answer. When considering switching from a private fleet to dedicated, ask yourself these questions:
- Does my fleet have unique or complex distribution requirements?
- Does my freight require custom vehicle specifications or special handling?
- Do I have to coordinate multiple stops and complex routes?
- Would consolidating my operations and reducing empty miles improve revenue?
- Am I having issues finding or keeping drivers?
- Do I need additional services such as warehousing, yard management, or alternative fuels?
- Am I having issues finding backhauls?
- Are my trucks running a lot of empty miles?
- Is it difficult to adjust my drivers and vehicles as volumes change during seasonality?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may benefit from a dedicated fleet. As the transportation business continues to face challenges, it may be time for your company to re-evaluate your fleet. While there are many benefits to having a private fleet, a dedicated transportation solution offers the same benefits, and much more.